October 1, 2020

Iceland Up To Date

On this page we will keep an eye on important stuff happening in Iceland. It can be culture, earthquakes, weather, volcanic activity or any useful bit of information we deem important.

August 5 2020

Border Testing At Maximum Capacity

August 1 2020

New Restrictions

“tougher restrictions have been reimposed in response to the new wave of domestic infections” as reported by Reykjavik Grapevine

July 14 2020

Fourteen Additional Countries

Starting July 15th residents of fourteen additional countries will be allowed to travel to Iceland. – Iceland Monitor reports

July 10 2020

Groundbreaking Arctic Research

It took years to prepare, 600 scientists and researchers from 20 countries in all to execute. –  Icenews reports

July 6 2020

Falcon Arrested

On Thursday night, police in the Westfjörds arrested a young falcon who was behaving unusually. Initially, it was believed to be an eagle, but was later confirmed to be a young falcon. – RUV and Reykjavik Grapevine reports.

July 2 2020

Uncertain When Gathering Ban Will Be Relaxed

It is uncertain when it will be possible to relax a ban on gatherings, which stipulates a maximum of 500 people, and extend the opening hours of pubs and places of entertainment that need to close at eleven in the evening. – RUV reports

July 1 2020

Charge For Coronavirus Starts Today

Beginning today, arriving passengers in Iceland will be charged for coronavirus testing. Iceland Monitor reports

Image by fernando zhiminaicela from Pixabay


July 1 2020

8% GDP Contraction Forecasted

The most recent GDP growth forecasts for Iceland assume that GDP will contract by 8% this year.  Financial Stability report

Image by falco from Pixabay

June 30 2020

Björk With Trio Of Concerts This Summer In Harpa

The three performances will be “unplugged”, replacing percussion and electronics with the musicians from the Icelandic Symphony Orchestra.” – Reykjavik Grapevine reports

Harpa Concert House
Image by Vilve Roosioks from Pixabay

June 28 2020

Icelanders Happy With Their President

The incumbent president of Iceland, Guðni Th. Jóhannesson, got 92% of votes in the presidential election yesterday. The other candidate got 8%. RUV reports.

Bessastadir Alftanes South West
Bessastaðir – The president’s resident.


June 28 2020

Fringe Festival

The third annual Reykjavík Fringe Festival is scheduled for July 4-12.  Iceland Monitor reports.


June 24 2020

Iceland Not Ready For USA – Yet?

It is possible that travelers from the United States will not be admitted to Iceland when the European Union opens its external borders on July 1st. Reykjavik Grapevine reports.

Image by Ronile from Pixabay



June 24 2020

A New Climate Action Plan For Iceland

Guðmundur Ingi Guðbrandsson, Minister of Ministry for the Environment and Natural Resources: “… With the actions we have taken and intend to take, we will achieve far more success than international obligations under the Paris Agreement require of us. Therefore, it should certainly be celebrated. We will continue our efforts to ensure the necessary transition. ”

Image by Ed Hathaway from Pixabay


June 24 2020

Clean Shores

Annual collection of garbage by volunteers in the nature reserve on Hornstrandir collected 2.6 tonnes of garbage. 36 tonnes have been collected since the effort began in 2014. RUV reports.


June 22 2020

The North Is Shaking

“A strong earthquake swarm started on 19th of June offshore North Iceland, NE of Siglufjörður. Three earthquakes above M5.0 have occurred since the swarm started. ” Icelandic Met Office Reports


June 19 2020

10 Days Instead Of One

The festival Culture Night in Reykjavik will take place from 13 to 23 August.
An announcement from the City of Reykjavik states that the change in the organization of the festival Culture nights is in accordance with the recommendations of the Civil Protection for the epidemic and that the aim is not to bring too many people together.RUV reports.

June 18 2020

Eruption Ready?

…eruption may soon occur in Grímsvötn volcano, located under the ice cap of Vatnajökull glacier  Morgunblaðið reports.” (English version is here)

Vatnajökull - Glacier Lagoon
Vatnajökull – Glacier Lagoon


June 18 2020

Geysir Protected

The famous Geysir in Haukadalur was protected on the 17th of June for Iceland’s national day, Vísir and Reykjavik Grapevine reports.

The One And Only Original Geyser
The One And Only Original Geyser

June 18 2020

Bad Behavior

Large snowmobiles tracks have been discovered in a moss-covered area on the edge of the Fjallabak nature reserve in the Icelandic highlands, mbl.is and Iceland Monitor reports.

June 11 2020

Pause Is Over

Pause is over, Iceland is open, gathering ban is almost over  and we will start  posting updates again.

Sun Voyager And Reykjavik Skyline
Sun Voyager And Reykjavik Skyline